Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
engbert
Senior MemberPosts: 2,423Gear list
Like?
Small filters for big lenses
11 months ago

The Nikon 80-400mm af-s shown here takes a 77mm filter. But on a Dx camera, filters do not need to be anywhere near that wide. Here are step down rings from 77 to 62mm, which allow the use of 62mm accessories. There is no vignetting even at 80mm.

Thus I can use a 62mm lens shade, in this case 36mm long. (Longer ones may cause vignetting at 80mm. This also provides excellent mechanical protection for the lens without the use of UV filters which reduce light transmission and are sometimes very expensive.

If you are exposed to spray or blowing sand, you can add a UV filter before or after the shade.

I can also use a Nikon 5T or 6T close up lens, which delivers fairly good macro ability, or any other accessory, such as a polarizer.

Nikon 80-400mm AF-S with Nikon 5T achromat close up lens, 62mm mount.

The Sigma 50-500mm OS came with a 95 to 86mm step down ring to be used on Dx cameras, but I found that 62mm was sufficient there too. I have sold that now, and await the new Tamron 150-600mm which fits a 95mm mount. I hope to use the same arrangement on it.

The smaller filter allows the d7100 + 80-400mm af-s with its lens shade to fit in the holster case easily, making it rapidly available on my walks.

Tamrac #5630 Pro Digital Zoom 10

-- hide signature --

www.pbase.com/bertramm
pbase & dpreview supporter

Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow