Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
love_them_all
Senior MemberPosts: 2,739
Like?
Zeiss lenses... now made in Thailand as well
8 months ago

May not be news to some of you. I was playing with the Sony FE lenses at a store and surprise to find only the 35mm is made in Japan. The 55/18 and the upcoming 24-70/4 (they have a pre-order sample) are both made in Thailand. The made in Thailand text is quietly hidden on the mount. With the lens attached, there is no way you can see it.

Do I have something against Thailand? No.

Does it mean made in Thailand lenses are not as good? Probably not.

I found it interesting to see Ziess stand alone lenses that are made outside of Germany or Japan now. The A7/r are also made in Thailand and they are of very good quality. I think it only comes down to the collectibility (value) of these items in the future.

Having said that. I was in another small shop. There were two old timers chatting about legacy MF lenses (Zeiss mainly). One name dropped a bunch of lenses he got or used to have. Funny that he kept talking about these lenses are for collections and most people do not shoot with them. I couldn't disagree more. The only time I hesitate to take a certain older lens out to shoot is only because of the weather or harsh shooting conditions.

Sony Alpha 7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow