XF56 f1.2 released and specs

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
malcolml1
Regular MemberPosts: 123
Like?
Re: XF56 f1.2 released and specs
In reply to a l b e r t, 9 months ago

Totally agree. Some people extend the idea of equivalence to include the noise characteristics of the resultant image. FF has a slight advantage here, so similar noise characteristics are achieved by increasing the ISO (which means you need to stop the lens down accordingly).

However, I personally believe that this argument more theoretical than practical with modern sensors, since noise levels are so low. I'd be surprised if anyone can tell the difference between two properly exposed prints - one shot at 200 and one at 800 or even 1600 ISO.

So for all practical purposes I would say that the new Fuji 56/1.2 on APS is 'equivalent' to an 85/1.8 on FF as far as DoF and angle of view are concerned, and equivalent to an 85/1.2 on FF as far as shutter speed at a fixed ISO are concerned. As the end user that's all I care about.

Within reason, I do not care about noise now - different story 10 years ago. I remember accidentally leaving my Canon 10D set on ISO 800 whilst shooting a car blaze in the middle of a busy London street. In broad daylight and the images were horrible. With my Xe-2 or X-Pro1 it doesn't matter (to me).

Cheers,

Malcolm

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow