Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Tom Caldwell
Forum ProPosts: 18,168
Like?
Question - monopods, overheads and self timer
8 months ago

I am feeling rather "dumb" at the moment. Mainly because for quite a few years I have stuck a camera on a monopod. Set the self timer to 2 seconds and hoisted it in the air.

Generally it works but framing is often an issue. But when the framing works the images seemed ok.

I always thought that the camera would auto focus before it was exposed. Well it does but not when I thought it did, a test with the camera in my hand shows that it focuses when the shutter is pressed and stays at that focus point (no refocus) if it is moved before the shutter fires. ie: my satisfactory shots must have been a combination of good luck and big dof.

I am not dismayed at this but obviously I will have to use a preset focus method of one form or anther in future.

Does anyone know of a way to set a camera so that it will do AF just before the shutter fires when on self timer?

Yes Play Memories can fire/focus remotely, but it is not so happy when you have both hands on your monopod and a remote wireless shutter trigger could be useful if I could find one.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow