After a LOT of reading, etc. down to the Panasonic HX-920 and the Canon G30. Opinions?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
docdaddy
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
After a LOT of reading, etc. down to the Panasonic HX-920 and the Canon G30. Opinions?
9 months ago

I'm a serious amateur. Need a video camera that is very good in low light and versatile: i.e. I can use it handheld at a ball game, unattended on a tripod in a dimlly lit dance, and many other situations. I have looked at DLSRs and 4/3s (notably the G3) and finally narrowed down to two camcorders: the Panny 920 and the Canon G30.

Obviously the 920 is about half the price of the G30, but if I felt the G30 was much better I'd spend the money. At this point it is not at all clear to me that the Canon G30 is significantly superior to the 920, and in fact in low light many argue the 3 sensor set up of the Panasonic is superior to the sensor system of the G30.

So, before I pull the trigger, I'd like to hear input from all of you expert and highly opinionated people here (and I mean that is the best possible way! I wish we could have the discussion over beers or bourbons!) on which is better and why.

Thanks!

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow