XE-1 Vs XE-2 Vs X100s VS Wife

Started Jan 8, 2014 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Signalz1123 Regular Member • Posts: 393
XE-1 Vs XE-2 Vs X100s VS Wife

I've been the happy owner of the XE-1+18-55 kit for a year and loved it, except for the slow and frequently lock-on-the-wrong-thing autofocus. I'm an enthusiast, not a pro, and my wife prohibits me from owning more than 1 camera at a time.

I was thinking of selling my XE-1 body and getting and XE-2 body for it's improved AF, LCD and other features. After telling the guy at the LCS my sob story, he asked me how often I went all the way out to 55mm on my zoom, and I said not often, except for subject-isolation portraits or my kid's school plays.

He then recommended I look at a used X100s instead ($950.00), which thay had in the used camera case. I've always admired this camera for it's OVF, silent shutter and lack of a protruding lens (which makes it coat pocketable, which any body with the 18-55 is not) but had fear of being confined to one focal length for the 15% of the time I need more.

An X100s is fine for Zack Arias, who's paid by the band to take pictures from the front row, or a paid pro who shoots the ballet troop from on-stage 10 feet away, but most of us non-pros who sit in the cheap seats and can't get nearly as close, despite the mantra "use your feet as the zoom". In reality, sometimes you just can't. For instance, i have kid that are in school plays and have never been able to get closer than 30 ft from the stage. He suggested I also buy a used XS1 ($250) for the telephoto stuff. So for $1200 I'm covered, no new lensed required.

Or I keep my original kit that I'm mostly happy with (crop in for the school plays) and that's the end of that.

Comments & Suggestion, Welcome! Even from those of you who do not have wives!

Signalz1123's gear list:Signalz1123's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8
Fujifilm X100S
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow