Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Signalz1123
Regular MemberPosts: 215Gear list
Like?
XE-1 Vs XE-2 Vs X100s VS Wife
8 months ago

I've been the happy owner of the XE-1+18-55 kit for a year and loved it, except for the slow and frequently lock-on-the-wrong-thing autofocus. I'm an enthusiast, not a pro, and my wife prohibits me from owning more than 1 camera at a time.

I was thinking of selling my XE-1 body and getting and XE-2 body for it's improved AF, LCD and other features. After telling the guy at the LCS my sob story, he asked me how often I went all the way out to 55mm on my zoom, and I said not often, except for subject-isolation portraits or my kid's school plays.

He then recommended I look at a used X100s instead ($950.00), which thay had in the used camera case. I've always admired this camera for it's OVF, silent shutter and lack of a protruding lens (which makes it coat pocketable, which any body with the 18-55 is not) but had fear of being confined to one focal length for the 15% of the time I need more.

An X100s is fine for Zack Arias, who's paid by the band to take pictures from the front row, or a paid pro who shoots the ballet troop from on-stage 10 feet away, but most of us non-pros who sit in the cheap seats and can't get nearly as close, despite the mantra "use your feet as the zoom". In reality, sometimes you just can't. For instance, i have kid that are in school plays and have never been able to get closer than 30 ft from the stage. He suggested I also buy a used XS1 ($250) for the telephoto stuff. So for $1200 I'm covered, no new lensed required.

Or I keep my original kit that I'm mostly happy with (crop in for the school plays) and that's the end of that.

Comments & Suggestion, Welcome! Even from those of you who do not have wives!

Fujifilm X100S
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow