Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
historianx
Senior MemberPosts: 1,141Gear list
Like?
35 F1.4 Noisy and Clunky, I Hope This Isnt the Norm
10 months ago

After enduring a defective (focus motor going out) 18-55 in my X-E1 kit, a clear customer return resold as NIB by a major online retailer, Im a little jumpy here about Fuji lens QC.

Although said major retailer sent me a TRULY NEW replacement kit, and that 18-55 is a pretty quiet and fine lens, today I get my supposedly new 35 F1.4 and its focusing mechanism is noisier than a frat party: whirrs and grinds real loud as it hunts, loud CLUNK when it locks, and you can also hear the aperture blades clicking into one another! Plus a lot of vibration associated with this noise...

This is my first Fuji prime, after being in Olympus and Leica lens camp for 40 years, and Ive never had a manual or a/f lens emit such high levels of electro-mechanical noise.  It came with the latest firmware installed, and seems to be centered with very high quality results...

I worked in camera retail for 20 years.  I know a factory-sealed box and how the contents should look, from a consumer re-sealed and returned box. This lens, like the kit, is the latter.  Shame on retailers who pass these off as New.

Well back this one goes...  and if history shows, the replacement will be ok. I hope.  Otherwise love this lens!

historianx's gear list:historianx's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Sigma DP3 Merrill Olympus E-5 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-E1 +5 more
Fujifilm X-E1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow