Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Alan Brown
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,627Gear list
Like?
help me help someone to buy a Canon lens
6 months ago

I don't know Canon lenses..only Nikon; an IT client of mine has set his mind on getting a 'white' Canon lens and thinks he should get the: 70-300 F4/5.6 IS USM

I was amazed to find it is £1240.00 in the UK!

I read a few reviews (lens rentals etc) and I got the impression that this is not the best way of spending his money.

quote:

I’d buy the consumer zoom and spend the other $1,000 on a Canon 17-55mm IS or Canon 24-105mm – or just get a Canon 70-200mm f/4 IS and blow $500 on groceries or something frivolous.

-- hide signature --

the reason I'm posting this here is that he has a 40D (that he seems happy with) and I'm not sure if he needs specific crop Canon lenses (EFS?.. it would be DX if it were for Nikon crop sensor cameras) or will anything Canon make, fit his camera?

What is the consensus here?

Thanks in advance

--
There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness.' :'!':

Alan Brown's gear list:Alan Brown's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 J2 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro +3 more
Canon EOS 40D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow