Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
Morris Sullivan
Senior MemberPosts: 4,660
Like?
Great Camera
In reply to Wayne Larmon, 9 months ago

Wayne Larmon wrote:

Prognathous wrote:

The oldest occurrence of the term "pixel peeping" or "pixel peeper" that I can find is actually from this very forum. See this post from Jan 1, 2004:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/7123452

Was it actually coined by Donald Cooper? Anyone knows about an older sighting of the term?

Michael Reichmann (Luminous Landscape) coined the term. The post you linked to is discussing Michael's use of the term:

Here's the thing that the pixel peepers don't get. My testing has shown that photographs produced by this camera can be of professional grade — suitable for stock use, professional publication and fine-art exhibition. The fact that it is somewhat noisier than other cameras at any given ISO, and that there is some occasional CA really has little to do with its usefulness as a photographic tool.
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/sony828.shtml

I really enjoyed my F828. The swivel body was a great design. Over-head or waist level, it kept the controls consistent with your hand position regardless of where the lens was pointed. Plus you could lay on the ground and still use the viewfinder looking straight down for ground level shots.

On the bottom of this review has a reference to an update on Dec. 2003, so the MR review was originally written before then.

As I remember, MR had been sprinkling a few technical measurements into his camera reviews. He was attacked (usually by DPReview posters) for not being as rigorous with his testing as Phil Askey was with DPReview camera reviews. So he got a bit snippy about what he perceived as an excessive emphasis on technical measurements and started using terms like "Pixel Peeping." (He also stopped including technical measurements in his reviews.)

The OP in the thread you linked to has the link to the MR review.

Also note that the sentiment expressed in the 2003 MR quote, above, is similar to the point he expressed in his more recent The Full Frame Myth essay (that was also widely attacked on DPReview.)

Wayne

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
NoNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow