XF56 f1.2 released and specs

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
Bernie Ess
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,929Gear list
Like?
Re: Aperture ring
In reply to Martin Datzinger, 11 months ago

Martin Datzinger wrote:

But honestly the Fuji route is somehow more tempting, a system more around what I'd expect from prime lens shooting. Aperture rings and stuff. But there is the issue, the XF primes' aperture rings until now looked very floppy to me. So I very much welcome that the 56's announcement states "The aperture ring is designed to ensure it’s easy to detect ‘clicks’ between f-stops"

I use the X-E1 since a year or so, and I like the lenses I currently have (27/35/18-55/55-200), but I really think I'd easily switch to aperture via thumb wheel (camera backside, upper left side) if Fuji made it available via firmware to control the aperture in both ways.

I do it on my tiny and extremely sharp 27mm pancake, I did it for years on my DSLRs, in my opinion it requires less effort and concentration than turning an aperture ring. I never had an issue with the operation of any of the rings (easy, medium, hard), except for the fact that it always is less automatic than turning that small thumb wheel.

As for the system question: You say the Fuji system is better around what you'd expect from prime lens shooting: There is of course the weight of the kit that is much lower than the Nikon/ Sigma. However the FF kit gives you better DOF control with all of the classic primes (35mm, 50mm - annonced - 85mm) and the quality of all recent Sigma Art lenses has apparently been breathtaking. More than anything anybody thought Sigma could do even 1-2 years ago. Add a 135, a 85mm/ Mk II  and maybe a 24mm and Sigma may have the highest quality set of all manufactuers.

For me the main issues are weight and the Fuji look that I really like. Although not quite up to the old Fuji DSLRs, I still think Fujis have better colours than Canon and Nikon. I never came to like the ook of the Nikon files, regardless of profiles and Raw converter.

I am also hesitating to buy those expensive Fuji lenses rather than going dual with Fuji (for lightweight shooting) and Canon FF for the rest. I may wait for the 50mm Art lens, the Sigma 35/1,4 already looks stellar.

Bernhard

-- hide signature --

'All the technique in the world doesn’t compensate for the inability to notice.' (Elliot Erwitt)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow