Would you call this pixel peeping:

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Prognathous
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,652
Like?
Re: No, just curious to hear other people's views on this
In reply to Wayne Larmon, 6 months ago

Wayne Larmon wrote:
I zoom and pan when I am examining my own images for quality. But I rarely want to let others see them at 100%. Again bearing in mind that HDTV is only two megapixels, you usually can crop and still have enough pixels to resize down to, say, eight megapixels. Eight megapixels allows for a lot of zooming and panning but your images won't look as gnarly as they often do at 100%.

Most of my images look nice and sharp at 100% magnification. For the ones with lower quality I can normally get away with 50% magnification.

I crop only when the whole image works better cropped. I don't crop parts for magnification, because I find the experience of doing it on the fly to be more immersive. To each his own.

Of course, eight megapixels is close to 4K so if the world switches to 4K tomorrow, then you won't be able to zoom and pan. But on the off chance that the world won't switch to 4K in the immediate future, you'll be covered.

If I switch to 4K I can just as easily set my viewer for higher default magnification and retain the same "dive in" quality. The end result would look just as good when viewed from the same distance on a FHD screen.

So getting back to your original question, looking at images at 100% is pixel peeping and often looks ugly. But there is no reason to inflict this on others. Modern cameras have pixels to spare.

"Inflicting" implies that my viewers are suffering and waiting for the presentation to be over, but in practice they are very much into it as is evident by the lively dialog around the pictures, including the magnified portions.

Prog.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/oren_b

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
NoNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow