Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ianbrown
Senior MemberPosts: 1,937
Like?
Sold A7 & A7R after 2 months of use
11 months ago

Ok for those who know me will have predicted this as I have had many cameras, however having had DSLRS for many years I have been on the hunt for a compact camera that gives great IQ.

The A7's do give excellent image quality, (but in my opinion) they lack the "photographer package" what I personally mean is they are a great piece of electronics but not a great camera System.

When I say package, I mean the lack of lens options and yes they will grow but they may have issues with wide angle performance and looks like Sony have compromised lens speed for size (F4). For me the two main issues are lack of lens options and no image stabilisation, for many you can work around this with third pray lenses etc? However telephoto lenses are another issue unless you use the bulky adaptor, or you are stuck with the expensive and heavy up coming FE lens.

Other lesser issues are poor AF in low light and less than perfect AF tracking and a less than small package when you add some lenses.

If you are a landscape shooter who uses prime lenses then this is a great option and especially if you are a range finder photographer. But if you have been used to a fast DSLR you may want to think twice about the change and how the lack of image stabilisation and lenses "may" effect your photography.

MFT is a good option and has a huge lens selection if you can live without the mega pixel full fame seduction.

I think A7's may become a good option for some people when lenses become more available, but if you want the ultimate in creativity, versatility and flexibility there may be other options other than a great sensor.

I know before you say it. I have had loads of cameras, bla bla bla. I don't see anything wrong with that, I am a gear head who buys and plays with cameras but I don't break the law so please no how many camera replies etc etc.

This is just my opinion on this camera for my use, for others it may be different

Happy New Year

Ian

Sony Alpha 7 Sony Alpha 7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow