Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
3sgilbert
Senior MemberPosts: 1,036Gear list
Like?
Lets face it guys the Pentax K-3 is....
6 months ago

the closest thing we will ever get to a D400. Its a sad reality, but the more I research the viability of using it for my sports and wildlife shooting the more im convinced of the following. Pentax was reading this forum and LITERALLY gave us everything we wanted in the D400 ( aside from the AF module but they did the best they could ) 24mp Sony sensor, 8.3fps, robust body, 100% VF, and buffer for days!! It could literally in theory be either the d400 or 7d mark ii and I for one believe they plugged that hole on PURPOSE. Im not familiar with Pentax but I think Ill rent it and a few lenses and take to a couple basketball games and down to a nearby wild life refuge to shoot some BIF.....On paper its EXACTLY what I want in a D400 but the variable would be how the AF holds up. I say we reward Pentax for plugging this hole for us, they LISTENED. In my case I would only need a 70-200mm f2.8 and non-OS at that since Pentax has in body stabilization, maybe a 85mm prime to supplement that in lower light gyms, and the new Tamron 600mm lens for wildlife. Ive recently tried to use my d7100 at a basketball game with the 85mm 1.8G and in raw there was WAY less than a second of buffer, I am familiar with the concept of anticipating action ( although new to BB shooting ) and timing the moment but there were several times I caught a player driving hard and even 10 frame buffer would have worked but not 6. I then tried my D800 and while the buffer was great, the 4 fps absolutely gave me problems with phasing. I wasnt spraying and praying and while capturing the action at the height of a jump was doable, the arm and ball phasing while driving hard was just KILLING my keeper from otherwise sharpish captures. I tried using the crop to speed it up and that did help a bit but the reduced area in view finder presented its very own challenges in a demanding dynamic shooting scenario like that. I need the speed of the d7100 with the frame, AF-ON ( I cant use BBAF on the 7100 because im a left handed left eye dominant shooter and there just isnt room to reassign ael to AFON ), and buffer of the D800 aka D400 but since thats unobtainable Pentax will have to suffice. I wish the D800 would let me turn down the res instead of cropping and churn out the 6fps with AA batteries like it will in DX mode without crippling my viewfinder but it forces you to crop, I guess pixel binning would be required to accomplish that. Its obvious trying to use both cameras the d800 is to slow, and the d7100 doesnt have the buffer or frame to properly balance large heavy lenses...a d400 seems like a no brainer and I just cant understand what Nikon is thinking....

Im going to research and if Tamron plans to support Pentax by releasing their newest 150-600mm in Pentax mount and files at ISO 3200 hold up to the 7100/d800 then I think I found my pro DX body. Ill keep my Nikons for tethering, portraits and the like unless I find easy work arounds once I have a pentax body....

If im crazy tell me why? cause to me its absolutely nuts that Nikon doesnt produce the d400 and even nuttier that pentax done it for them.....

-- hide signature --

Shawn

3sgilbert's gear list:3sgilbert's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D7100 Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II VC LD Aspherical (IF) Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD +1 more
Canon EOS 7D Nikon D40 Nikon D7100 Nikon D800 Pentax K-3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow