Started 7 months ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Harold P Morgan
New MemberPosts: 1Gear list
Like?
Great Little Camera
7 months ago

I love my Canon XSi/Tamron 18-270mm zoom combination.  But it is rather large and heavy to carry around with me all the time.  So I went looking.  Bought another brand with reportedly great lens.  That was a disaster.  It lasted 15 months.   Next I did some research....found the this Canon SX280 HS on sale at a big-box store and bought it.  That was about 3 weeks ago.  It is great.  No battery problem.  It is a current enough version that the firm wear upgrade apparently had already been done at the factory.  Furthermore I turned off the GPS.  A useless feature in my estimation.  I've managed without one for 65 years and I don't need it now.  I would turn off the Wi-Fi also if I could find the command in the menu.

The lens is amazing.  The images are sharp.  I have the digital zoom turned off.  Would only use it in an emergency.  Video works very well.  I keep remembering the summer I lugged a Sony "portable" camcorder around Big Bend National Park.  Low Def......barely portable....camera separate from recorder....monaural, low fi sound.....Now I pick up this tiny Canon Power Shot and get great Hi-Def video with stereo sound.  Great for recording my grandson's jazz band performances.....and I can hold it easily in one hand.  I LOVE MODERN TECHNOLOGY!!!

Of course I recommend the purchase of a spare battery.  Did that today at a local battery store for less than half the price that Canon demands on their web site.  With today's high tech cameras....two batteries are a necessity.  (wasn't thumb winding the 35mm SLR fun?}

The color reproduction is very accurate.....but perhaps a little on the light side.  I'm a perfectionist when I go to make my prints.  Interesting to me is having to set the camera on "vivid" to get what I call normal "real-life" color from the get-go.  Maybe I'm missing something.  More experience and experimentation may work out that problem for me.  We'll see.

Another possible negative is the weight.  It does seem on the heavy side for such a small camera.  I'm hoping that is a sign of sturdy construction and high durability.  I suppose packing all that stuff into this little case is bound to increase the weight.  Time will tell about that also.

Noise level is very low.  I have not yet performed any serious tests in low light situations.  But trials I HAVE run here in my house has revealed to me that noise is not going to be a problem except, perhaps, under the most extreme conditions.

My biggest complaint is the auto focus which is quite slow under low-light conditions....and often will not lock into focus at all in that situation.  At ordinary light levels the focus is quick and very accurate.  Images are razor sharp and razor sharp is another one of my obsessions.

One more complaint.  I've pretty much given up hope on this one......but Oh gosh how I'd like to have an old-fashioned view finder on this little dude.  Like all LCD screens...no matter how bright....the sun is brighter and one finds oneself having to set it on wide angle.....point in general direction....and push the button, hoping for the best.  But....I was buying extreme portability and compromises must be made.  If I am out shooting pictures in situations where I must have a viewfinder I'll take my Canon XSi.

This is gonna be fun!

Harold P Morgan's gear list:Harold P Morgan's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX280 HS Canon EOS 450D Tamron 18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II Motorola Atrix HD +3 more
Harold P Morgan's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
excellent
Action / sports
unrated
Landscapes / scenery
excellent
Portraits
excellent
Low light (without flash)
okay
Flash photography (social)
great
Studio / still life
good
= community average
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow