XF56 f1.2 released and specs

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Krich13
Regular MemberPosts: 357
Like?
Re: XF56 f1.2 released and specs
In reply to malcolml1, 3 months ago

malcolml1 wrote:

Understand that fine...I was not really thinking about the pixel size. That is the bit I was missing. Just curious - do FF pixels typically have 2.25 times the area of APS ones?

Some do, some don't. Nikon's DF and D4 have 16 MP, just like the APS-C Fuji. Others, (D610, Sony A7, Canons) are around 20-24 MP, two others (Nikon D800E, Sony A7R) have 36 MP. On the other hand, recent Nikon APS-C cameras also have 24 MP, Samsung -- 20 MP -- so yes, pretty similar pixel count and hence the photosite area. Factor 2-2.5 area advantage for most FF pixels. Additional advantage of fatter picels that there is less of an area loss at the pixel edges.

I assume that if the FF pixels were the same size as the APS ones, then my argument would be correct (just so I can be sure I understand correctly).

No, it wouldn't, but for a different reason. Yes, in this case every pixel of an FF sensor would be noisier than that of an APS-C sensor, but the total number of pixel would be greater. Once you scale the larger image down (downsample) to the same size as an APS-C one, the noise of the final image would be similar again.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow