Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
Morris Sullivan
Senior MemberPosts: 5,315
Like?
Re: No, just curious to hear other people's views on this
In reply to Wayne Larmon, 11 months ago

Wayne Larmon wrote:

Prognathous wrote:

You still might want to consider cropping and saving with a slightly different filename. So that your collection doesn't depend on you manually zooming and panning to point out the interesting parts. Think of posterity.

It's an option, but I find direct zooming and panning to be much more immersive.

I zoom and pan when I am examining my own images for quality. But I rarely want to let others see them at 100%. Again bearing in mind that HDTV is only two megapixels, you usually can crop and still have enough pixels to resize down to, say, eight megapixels. Eight megapixels allows for a lot of zooming and panning but your images won't look as gnarly as they often do at 100%.

Of course, eight megapixels is close to 4K so if the world switches to 4K tomorrow, then you won't be able to zoom and pan. But on the off chance that the world won't switch to 4K in the immediate future, you'll be covered.

On a 4K TV the image wont look worse zoomed in to the same level. The viewing size will be the same. It'll just look better zoomed out.

So getting back to your original question, looking at images at 100% is pixel peeping and often looks ugly. But there is no reason to inflict this on others. Modern cameras have pixels to spare.

Wayne

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
NoNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow