Would you call this pixel peeping:

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Prognathous
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,668
Like?
No, just curious to hear other people's views on this
In reply to Wayne Larmon, 8 months ago

The fact that I feel comfortable using "magnified presentation" doesn't mean I'm oblivious to the possibility of it being interpreted as "pixel peeping". Some people in this thread consider it such and some don't, but all in all I think many interesting views were presented here.

Wayne Larmon wrote:

In your original post you said

In some cases, the picture contains multiple subjects and many interesting details, so I switch to 100% magnification and show specific parts which include details I consider worth focusing on.
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52844525

Which is why I wrote assuming that you always zoomed to 100%.

Well, if you're curious about my exact "magnified presentation" flow, then I always start at 100%. I'm using FastStone viewer where this is done by either pressing "A" for prolonged view or by holding the left mouse button pressed for a more temporary look. Then if image quality is problematic I zoom out a few times (pressing "-") until it looks good. This btw doesn't work with the mouse method. Usually 50% magnification looks good enough even for high ISO files or cropped ones.

Should I have included all this information in the original post? I don't think so.

You still might want to consider cropping and saving with a slightly different filename. So that your collection doesn't depend on you manually zooming and panning to point out the interesting parts. Think of posterity.

It's an option, but I find direct zooming and panning to be much more immersive. If you're using FastStone you might want to try it. Just hover with the cursor over an interesting spot, then hold the left mouse button to "dive in" (to steal AlphaTikal's terminology), and slowly glide around surrounding parts to explore other interesting details.

BTW, for some reason FastStone defaults to 200%. The first thing I do when installing it on a new machine is change the default to 100%.

And is this maybe a first world problem?

All of the "problems" discussed in this forum are first world problems

Prog.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
NoNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow