ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Shotcents
Senior MemberPosts: 3,750Gear list
Like?
Nikon's Greatest Unmade Product
6 months ago

Nikon SN-FE5 Auto Focus Assist Module

At less than 1/2 the size of the SB-300 Flash, the SN-FE5 is designed to extend low-light photography opportunities while adding little to overall camera size and weight. Optimized for single center point focus mode, the SN-FE5 is powered by a single AA battery. Includes carry pouch. 199.95 US

So....In using the Df, (and my D800) I truly dislike the handy AF illuminator in the D800, but still think Nikon should have included it in the D800 and D4.

If you want to truly extend low light AF performance use of a flash featuring AF assist must be used. This is better than the bright white AF assist in the D800, but the flashes are HUGE.

So why doesn't Nikon build us a very small stand-alone IR AF assist unit that fits in the flash shoe? I'd use it a lot and it would truly extend the AF ability of the entire range of DSLRs.

Someone want to talk me out of this or explain why it's a bad idea?

Robert

Shotcents's gear list:Shotcents's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D800 Nikon D5200 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +10 more
Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Nikon Df
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow