The Philosophy of Nikon Df

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
brightcolours
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,915
Like?
Re: You don't have to use the manual controls.
In reply to enkindler, 11 months ago

enkindler wrote:

brightcolours wrote:

enkindler wrote:

brightcolours wrote:

sandy b wrote:

For the most part with two control wheels, you can use it like any other Nikon.

But the only point of the camera is the old dials. Not high resolution (D800), not sports performance (D4), not affordability (D610).

You forgot the reason many of the sacrifices were made (Battery size, card slot, focus system). It is the lightest and smallest full-frame DSLR on the market.

It is just about the same size and weight as the Canon EOS 6D (really).

http://camerasize.com/compare/#495,380

Not sure what is so special about that? They should have made the Df a lot smaller to have a value size wise, the same size as the FM's and Nikkormats. Then it woud be a plus. And a control philosophy which is consistent and sensible...

I have nothing against Nikon trying something different, but they should have done it well. I do like my pre-Ai Nikkors on my Nikkormat FTn and my 6D.

You may not see the value in that but others do.

A DSLR will never be the size of a 35mm film body, a sensor, heat spreader and LCD will always be thicker than a pressure plate. The only way to be thinner is to dump the F mount.

The 6D only has an 11 point AF system, shoots less FPS, does not have 100% frame coverage and is useless to those with an investment in Nikon glass.

I mentioned the 6D for its identical size and weight. Not because it is identical in features. The less AF point si not a reason for it to be more compact, anyway it has an unusually sensitive center focus point which uses a lot of AF sensor real estate. It does include GPS (not my thing) and WiFi (for for instance remote live view).

Why does it get a pass on your "incrementally worse in some arbitrarily picked metrics" The "only point" of the Df was not the dials, and you brushed off evidence that was only a part of their design decisions.

Just going by the Nikon press blurb.

The DF has a higher frame rate and is lighter than the D800, has better high ISO than the D800 and D610. It is lighter and cheaper and quieter than the D4. And to top that off it is the smallest and lightest full frame DSLR on the market and the smallest and lightest Nikon by a large measure.

It still is the same size and weight as the 6D. Which is also an FF DSLR. 5 grams difference... ok.

The Df's controls are far more usable than the Canon design decisions have ever produced.

That of course is very debatable.

But really all modern cameras are great... Improvements are slight between almost all models for most photos. I found a use for the Df and I am very happy with it. But cameras are just tools, nothing more.

That said size and weight were apparently the main driver on this camera. The D4/D800 AF would have made it taller,

Why? The D7200 has the same 51 point AF sensor, yet the same space under the mirror box as the Df. This is just a baseless point.

as for the price it is cheaper than the D700 was adjusted for inflation.

It is a lot more expensive than the D610 it is based on.

That said I have no real desire to convince people it is an awesome camera so have the last word while I go out and enjoy mine.

Enjoy your camera.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow