SONY NEX-3N -Tips and settings shooting indoors with low light

Started 6 months ago | Questions thread
keeponkeepingon
Senior MemberPosts: 1,143
Like?
Re: SONY NEX-3N -Tips and settings shooting indoors with low light
In reply to Pete_S, 6 months ago

After typing the above I was in an indoors kids playground with pretty good light (for indoors) and I looked down and the NEX was picking F4 (with a pretty high ISO, like 1000 or something). So maybe the level of light determines F4 versus F3.5.

Indoor playgrounds/bounce house places are pretty challenging, because the kids are all moving really fast and while the lighting is good for indoors it's not very good compared to sunlight. 
Yesterday I had an iphone 5s, Canon 300HS and the NEX-3n at the indoor playground and the NEX-3n was by far the best of the bunch.  In low light even at ISO 640 the 300HS looked horrible, much worse than the 3n at ISO 1600. I got some OK shots with the 300HS using the flash, and the iphone was OK for some things such as sweep panoramas of the whole area but overall if I had to pick one camera to bring with me it would be the 3n.

Question: For low light which would be better: RAW and Lightroom to rescue exposure issues or jpeg and rely on the camera's wizardy to nail the exposure and compensate for the low light?

thanks!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow