Are Full Frame SLRs Obsolete?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
joger
Senior MemberPosts: 2,571Gear list
Like?
Re: Are Full Frame SLRs Obsolete?
In reply to Colin Smith1, 8 months ago

Colin Smith1 wrote:

. . . As a wildlife photographer nothing offered to date can match the tracking AF of my 5D III, certainly not the OM E1 or the Sony. . . . As for now, I assume the excellent quality of my photos would be hard to give up.

Anyone think that the day is coming when even pros and advanced amateurs will be satisfied with a smaller, lighter mirror less system.

Hi Colin,

I am far away from being a fully time pro photographer - I am just a part time pro and thus my view might be a bit of leisure oriented too

I had recently invited on Xmas some friends for a year end image discussion with the best images everyone did thoughout 2013. Two guys completely switched to mirror less crop sensor cameras and after presenting some four or five images I really started to get nervous how long I can stand the imperfection of the images.

I am not talking about the artistically quality - I am purely commenting on the technical quality.

Yes - you are significantly more mobile without tripods, heavy lenses and a heavy rucksack on your back. No doubt - but what those guys ended up were shaked images, digital artifacts (explanation was that LR would not fully support the Fuji system) and all kinds of flaws even of course high ISO noise - which is the point I really could't care less. If at highes ISO some noise is present - well - may it be but all the other aspects are handling issues and for me the craftsmanship is one important aspect of photography.

So if you can get rid of your big and cumbersome heavy equipment in replacing it with a smaller, neater and more mobile version - fine. I guess this will be the road for us all - I know nobody that wants to carry tons of equipment. That said you still end up carrying a tripod and/or a monopod for the utmost perfection and craftsmanship. Thus you trade in either the mirror and/or the larger sensor for something a bit lighter and a bit worse in image quality - well - if that's your tradeoff and you can live with that - fine with me.

Carrying a tripod and a monopod and some excellent lenses the weight of the camera itself is the last thing I'd worry for.

Btw - the Sony A7R seems to be the perfect addition to an existing toolchain. Not for wildlife shooting but for the rest of the time a very nice idea and you still can work with good craftsmanship without compromises.

The pure technical gap will get smaller between the different sensor formats. Unfortunately the associated way of handling the gear leads to a lower craftsmanship - at least I saw that form some 60 images presented that evening that would be far off the quality I'd like to present to any kind of audience as my best images from 2014 and none of the images contained people - all were in situations where a tripod would work and not disturb the process.

So if the smaller lighter and more mobile cameras with built in image stabilization means that we are going to see less perfect images (being just good enough for WEB view) I am sure that FF (with whatever concept) will have a great future and the Sony A7R points perfectly in that direction - IMHO

just my 2CT

-- hide signature --

“The horizon of many people is a circle with zero radius which they call their point of view.” Albert Einstein
if you start to fight with a pig you'll end up mud-wrestling - the only difference is the pig will like it

joger's gear list:joger's gear list
Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Canon TS-E 90mm f/2.8 Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
TrueNew
SureNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow