Nikon and Mercedes Benz... a marketing parallel?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
EmotoPhotos
New MemberPosts: 16Gear list
Like?
Nikon and Mercedes Benz... a marketing parallel?
6 months ago

OK bear with me. Take Mercedes Benz (MB) they made a small range of high quality 'flagships' in the 70s, 80s and early 90s - with models like W124 (E class), W140 (S class) being the very best engineered cars made - reliable, bulletproof, expensive-ish and very reliable, being kept for 250k miles or more. Nikon had the D90, D300 D3 etc.. with a similar thread of characteristics. Move on to the late 90s and 21st century - MB replacements to the 'E' and 'S' class were rusty, flimsier 'accountant' not 'engineer' based products marketed with 'gizmos' like bluetooth and sat-nav etc. to drive profitability. THEN they introduced  areal mix of sub-models to cover ALL the bases revamped A, B, C and variants of coupes/fastbacks and sports plus stationwagons.... Again driven by buyer age/demographics and features but hanging off a previously high quality low-change brand. I see NIKON and Canon etc. as developing identically - D3xxx, D5xxx, D6xx, D7xxx, D8xx etc. and covering all their consumer bases. I am sure if I was NIKON I would reuse components and adjust features based on price for each model range again maximising profitability. I personally assume a D4xx will appear but not for some time. Just my thoughts.... Cheers Paul

EmotoPhotos's gear list:EmotoPhotos's gear list
Nikon D300 Tamron AF 18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC LD Aspherical (IF) MACRO Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Samyang 8mm F2.8 UMC Fisheye Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +7 more
Nikon D3 Nikon D300 Nikon D3X Nikon D4 Nikon D90
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow