The Sunday BIRD Volume 9, Issue 28 January 5, 2014

Started 6 months ago | Photos thread
tert
Forum MemberPosts: 69
Like?
Thanks everyone. And on black feathers
In reply to tert, 6 months ago

Many thanks to all the kind comments. These birds are really a joy to photograph.

Peter, I agree with you on how difficult it is to capture details on the bird's neck. It does not help that significant cropping is required given the bird's size. All of these photos were taken with available light and I have only recently started learning to use fill-flash, which not only helps to freeze motion, and provide a catch-light, but also enhance micro-contrast of feathers. I have had a little success last week with the Spotted Pardalote which is an equally small bird. The use of flash though adds another layer of complexity. I have learnt about the use of flash through WH Majoros internet-based book on digital bird photography, which is a comprehensive and excellent guide to bird photography (with inspirational photographs to match). I plan to try using fill-flash with the wrens when I next get the chance to.

Cheers,

Terence

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow