Stagnation of New APS-C Models?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
larrytusaz
Senior MemberPosts: 2,201Gear list
Like?
Well Paint Me An Idiot (Re: Stagnation of New APS-C Models?)
In reply to larrytusaz, 9 months ago

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2014/01/07/from-nex-to-alpha-sony-introduces-20-megapixel-a5000?utm_campaign=internal-link&utm_source=news-list&utm_medium=text&ref=title_0_5

The new a5000 (or version 4 of the NEX-3 basically, although the article suggests it's part of the NEX-5 line).

I am not liking the continuation of the 460k LCD (vs 920k) but the update to the 20mp sensor is welcome to bring it closer in line to the 24mp Nikon DSLRs I'd otherwise be using (although the 16mp sensor, also used in the Nikon D7000/D5100, works just fine for me), as well as the built-in Wi-Fi if you need instant sharing capability. If the body size is closer the C3 and 3N size vs the F3 which is a bit large, then that's a big plus as well.

Most of all, it's EXTREMELY welcome to see that the rangefinger-style NEX body form factor is alive & well, as it's absolutely what I do these days. I left Nikon DSLRs behind because the C3 (and now the F3) gave me the same image quality as my D5100 did (or the D7000 would've had I gone that far upmarket at the time) but did so in a much smaller package. I'm somewhat "vested" in the system what with me having the Sigma 30mm f/2.8 (original version) and the Sony 50mm 1.8 OSS.

One minor but important to me touch--it would be nice to see the command dial also able to move the focus-point around, not just the 4-way, it would be somewhat faster.

larrytusaz's gear list:larrytusaz's gear list
Nikon 1 J1 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha NEX-3N Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow