Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
Shotcents
Senior MemberPosts: 4,070Gear list
Like?
Re: Df low light AF ability should not even be a question
In reply to Scott McMorrow, 11 months ago

Scott McMorrow wrote:

It shouldn't even be up for debate.

Nikon specifications state that the lower end of the sensitivity range of the AF module in the Df is -1EV. Whereas the D4 and D800 are -2EV. Given that these are the specs for the cameras, dim indoor artificial light is at the edge of the detection range for the Df/D610 AF module. It should be no surprise that auto focus is hit or miss indoors at night. By the way, this is the same AF detection sensitivity as the D700 had. If you were okay with D700 low light autofocus, you should be good with the the Df. If you are used to the D800, then I suspect that the Df will get frustrating from time to time.

There's no question that Nikon itself thinks that the D800 has much better low light AF capability than the Df. It's a shame, since the sensor is superb in low light.

Too many people are shooting with pairs of D600 bodies to do events/weddings for this to be "up for debate."

The D600, using center point does very well in poor light. I've rarely seen it miss and if it was poor, then my friends would not bother with them for wedding work.

I also suspect that while Nikon lists specs, the module may be more effective than is suggested. As I said, the light tolerances for low contrast dark targets appear to be VERY close and I've really put them through the ringer on this. Posting a thread with samples to show this in a few.

Robert

Shotcents's gear list:Shotcents's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D800 Nikon D5200 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow