The Philosophy of Nikon Df

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
Rich Rosen
Senior MemberPosts: 1,440Gear list
Like?
Re: The Philosophy of Nikon Df
In reply to Richard Murdey, 11 months ago

I'm not a great lover of "retro" style cameras. When the F100 film camera came out, I sold my FM2 and F3, and purchased the F100 and the F5, precursors to the digital user interfaces of today. My passion with Photography began with a gift from my wife; the Pentax ME Super, in 1980. But in 1995 I purchased a Nikon N50, then a N90s, after that so on and so on. The F3 and Fm2 purchases occurred after the other purchases. Don't get me wrong; they were great cameras, but I had already become so accustomed to the command dials and buttons, that I felt hampered by the older cameras.

So the Df was not exciting to me. After reading about it, I decided not to purchase a camera that lacks the specifications I wanted. That decision was confirmed by its outlandish price and some of the reviews, that came out. I imagine its images are very good, probably excellent, but I have cameras that also produce excellent images and are more comfortable to use.

From the day of DF's announcement, I was skeptical about the digital fusion thing, because while the camera had older style controls, it also had the more modern command dials, menus and buttons. So what seems like simplicity could be very complicated. What evokes nostalgic memories in many minds, does nothing for me. Don't get me wrong; I hope those who do like the camera enjoy it for many years. But I'm just not buying into the philosophy of the Df, when the cameras I own are in my estimation exactly the tools I need... and enjoy.

I have beaten this subject to death, so I am going to move on.

Rich Rosen's gear list:Rich Rosen's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D1X Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF +24 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow