Are Full Frame SLRs Obsolete?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Caerolle
Senior MemberPosts: 1,738Gear list
Like?
Re: Larger sensors will retain their superiority, no matter how good smaller ones become
In reply to Midwest, 10 months ago

Midwest wrote:

If a smaller-sensor camera can do the job for someone and they want a camera like that, then they've got some to choose from and good for them I say. But I sure do wish the people who have made that choice would stop knocking on my door with their pamphlets, pushing their religion at me.

Yes, there is a saying that the only thing more obnoxious than person who is hard-core about smoker's rights is that same person who has decided that smoking is a bad thing. Sometimes I wonder if the anti-full-frame people are trying to convince themselves more than anything else, especially since a lot of them seem to be old dudes who can't handle the weight anymore, so moved to m4/3 in particular to get smaller, lighter systems. So, the capability is 'good-enough' for them (and the implication is, good enough for anyone who doesn't make large prints).

That is fine, I just don't understand why people don't just shoot what they want, and feel they need to go convince everyone else of what *they* should shoot. I certainly don't go smugly troll APS-C or m4/3 forums telling them their choices are stupid (which I don't think, anyhow). But it seems to be popular in those forums to post 'X format as good as full-frame!', 'full-frame is a marketing hoax played on suckers!' and such. Which is fine, but then they have to come here and make smug, sneering posts about what dupes we are for not using crop sensors and/or mirrorless.

-- hide signature --

Not because I think they are good, but because I would like to improve (feel free to provide me with feedback):
http://500px.com/carolteater

Caerolle's gear list:Caerolle's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 28mm f/2.8 IS USM Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 Di VC USD 1:1 Macro
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
TrueNew
SureNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow