K30 fried after using in rain

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
JeffAHayes
Senior MemberPosts: 1,968Gear list
Like?
Re: K30 fried after using in rain
In reply to jamesm007, 11 months ago

I agree, James. I also think if drying it out doesn't solve his problem, he quite likely still has the two-year warranty issue under EU stipulations.

As for Pentax and how its warranty relates to its WR claims, while Pentax definitely sells cameras and lenses based on the WR properties (I recall when the K-30 was their top NEW model, you'd go to their website and there was a big picture of it covered with wet snow on their primary sales web page), Pentax is equally quick to say they DON'T cover any repairs caused by the negligence of gettiing water or dust into their cameras or lenses.

Frankly, as much as I love my Pentax cameras and WR or DA* lenses, I think that sort of doubletalk is both disingenuous AND, quite frankly, WILL NOT hold up under the laws of ANY country that has a reasonable court system, since they advertise these cameras and lenses with them covered with rain and/or snow.

That said, I'm still really careful. If I want to shoot in rain or show, I'm till going to do my best to protect my camera and lens(es), and dry them off as soon as I can, then probably nestle them in a DIFFERENT towel that hasn't been used to dry off a camera or lens, to ensure they remain and/or continue to finish drying while I go to my next shot, or do whatever else, similar to what Russell said he does at Yellowstone. In my opinion, just because they advertise the product as weather resistant doesn't mean we need to push the envelope every chance we get. That would be like taking your 4WD truck out and climbing the side of a mountain with it when there's an equally good highway directly beside the rugged dirt trail you're on. What's the point, other than to put extra wear-and-tear on a mechanical and electrical product that has a limited life no matter how you take care of it? Which is why I also have those cheap camera and lens protection covers for shooting in rain and snow. I'm not SCARED of getting my camera or lens wet, but I see no reason to do it just because I CAN, either.

Jeff

-- hide signature --

A word is worth 1/1000th of a picture... Maybe that's why I use so many words!

JeffAHayes's gear list:JeffAHayes's gear list
Pentax WG-3 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-30 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow