Stagnation of New APS-C Models?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Tom Caldwell
Forum ProPosts: 18,199
Like?
Re: Stagnation of New APS-C Models?
In reply to larrytusaz, 8 months ago

larrytusaz wrote:

I have the Sony NEX-F3 (and Nikon J1). Maybe it's me, but it seems like forever since new models have been announced other than the A3000 and A7/r--the former isn't really what I think of in terms of NEX, the latter are full-frame & as great as smaller full-frame models are, I think I'm one of many that appreciate what APS-C NEX models like the F3, 6 and 7 etc bring in terms of high image quality in a smaller package.

Is it just my imagination? I'm not dis-satisfied with my F3 (other than I wish you could use the command dial to more quickly choose AF points, not just the 4-way part of it) but the lack of new models can sort of send a "vibe" that the system is not likely to still be around in 3-odd years or so, or that it may end up being more like the A3000 which is NOT what I am looking for.

Tips?

-- hide signature --

LRH

Tips?

The A7 type is just having its day in the sun and can do without some stiff competition from and updated and much revised wonder "NEX" (type) model.  When the A7 sales plateau a bit and settle down and the market needs some more excitement an aps-c variant (several?) will appear.  Probably less awkwardly be-buttoned and wheeled than the A7 type. In fact I am sure that Sony have it in them the ability to make a pretty neat little aps-c variant perhaps in both faux RF and faux dslr?

Maybe then we will all start to realise that a good aps-c is not so many leagues behind the FF in performance.  At least for us common photographer types.

Meanwhile Sony is sure to flog the A7 type for all it is worth, they need to create a market for it - maybe even we will see some price discounts "just to make sure"?  Make them cheap enough and then who needs an aps-c variant?

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow