XF56 f1.2 released and specs

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Bill Robb
Senior MemberPosts: 3,332
Like?
Re: XF56 f1.2 released and specs
In reply to ballwin12, 7 months ago

ballwin12 wrote:

Bigger and heavier than Nikon 85mm 1.8G, wow!!

It's an f/1.2 lens. They tend to be on the large size.

I believe Fuji's optic is as good, if not better than Nikon! Af speed is worse for sure, however.

Well yes, in the context of this forum it is better. There are a number of people who can't seem to get it through their heads that this is a Fuji forum, not a Canon or Nikon forum, and as such it really doesn't matter a whit if a 56 f/1.2 can dance fewer DOF angels on the head of a pin than a Nikon or Canon 85 f/1.8. I can see this as being of passing interest if a person uses either a Nikon or a Canon, but for those of us who use neither, this constant carping about a few millimeters of depth of field is beyond frustrating.

At f/1.2 on an X-Pro1, the 56mm lens will have 3.38 inches of DOF at 8 ft. A D800 with an 85mm lens at f/1.4 will have 2.64 inches of depth of field, for a whopping .74 inches (19mm) of difference in DOF. I chose 8 feet simply because this would be close to what I would use as a portrait distance with this angle of view.

Really, if a person thinks this is a really big deal, they might have some mental health issues to deal with.

If you don't like my numbers, go argue with these guys: http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow