XF56 f1.2 released and specs

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
Caerolle
Senior MemberPosts: 1,757Gear list
Like?
Re: XF56 f1.2 released and specs
In reply to dark13star, 11 months ago

dark13star wrote:

Yes, exposure time is the same, given the same ISO (and yes, I realize there is a small difference in the way different managers implement the standard). Assume ISO 200 f/1.8 on both lenses, same exposure. The focal length doesn't change exposure either, at least not on the subject as measured neutral gray. What does change is the amount of other light in the scene for wider lenses.

At f 1/2 the Fuji lens can get exposures (faster shutter speed in same light) that the FF f/1.8 lens cannot.

I see this misunderstanding of exposure on the forum a lot lately. People need to go back to using hand-held light meters and setting exposures across multiple cameras to see that exposure is independent of sensor size. Depth of field will change at a given f-stop though.

-- hide signature --

"I would be an historian as Herodotus was." -Charles Olson
http://herodot.us

I actually tested this a while back. I set my 1/2.3" sensor compact and my full-frame camera both to the same aperture and shutter speed, and the ISO was within 1 stop.

I too used to believe that the light gathering was changed by the factor of sensor size, but it is not so: at the same aperture, no matter the sensor size, the exposure is the same, give-or-take differences in the camera meters.

-- hide signature --

Not because I think they are good, but because I would like to improve (feel free to provide me with feedback):
http://500px.com/carolteater

Caerolle's gear list:Caerolle's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 28mm f/2.8 IS USM Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 Di VC USD 1:1 Macro
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow