Veteran MemberPosts: 4,847Gear list
Like?
Re: Unfortunately...
In reply to PVCdroid, 10 months ago

PVCdroid wrote:

DT200 wrote:

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

I have the Sony NEX-F3 (and Nikon J1). Maybe it's me, but it seems like forever since new models have been announced other than the A3000 and A7/r--the former isn't really what I think of in terms of NEX, the latter are full-frame & as great as smaller full-frame models are, I think I'm one of many that appreciate what APS-C NEX models like the F3, 6 and 7 etc bring in terms of high image quality in a smaller package.

Is it just my imagination? I'm not dis-satisfied with my F3 (other than I wish you could use the command dial to more quickly choose AF points, not just the 4-way part of it) but the lack of new models can sort of send a "vibe" that the system is not likely to still be around in 3-odd years or so, or that it may end up being more like the A3000 which is NOT what I am looking for.

Tips?

-- hide signature --

LRH

You have plenty of vocal companions who keep creating these threads. You start with APSc to complain about only 11 models in 3.5 years that E-mount has been around...

Really this is misleading. For example the NEX 5t is almost a rebadged 5r with some new firmware. The 5r was a 5n with a new sensor, but that sensor offered no real improvement.

Comparing the original NEX 5 to the current 5t overall there is not much of a difference except they old 5 is a bargain.

Don't worry, Canon does the same thing. The old T2i and latest T5i perform almost exactly the same.

... the point about expecting frequent launches... pointless!

It is not pointless for Sony. They can't sell the NEX 5 for full price anymore, but add some little feature like NFS and they can sell the same camera at full price again. Canon knows this too. They are trying to make money. I do agree that releases like the 5t are almost (not completely) pointless for buyers..

I've been wrong on this before but believe we are done with revolutionary camera changes. We'll probably see NFC, EVF improvements and other tweaks but now that the sensors are of high quality there really isn't a ton to improve on. I think lenses will get better though and be able to keep up with the sensors. This seems evident with how sharp the Sony/Zeiss 55mm is. I have a few legacy lenses but don't believe they will continue to be in demand with new lenses designed with a specific camera in mind including stabilization, AF and sharpness. The super high end legacy lenses will continue to thrive in price and scarcity I'm sure but they are really more of a financial investment. I've watched Trey Ratcliff in his N7 to A7r transition go from Sony FE lenses to his quest for Leica glass back to a SEL1018 that he continues to rave about on the A7R. The native AF convenience factor is too much to ignore.

There's still quite a way to go with AF performance, as it is still viewed as the 'achilles heel' of the E-mount system

Maybe any new lower-end APS-C camera will have a 20MP sensor with an improved PDAF capacity, rather like the Nikon 1 series?

AF during continuous shooting would also be a good feature - nice for 'soccer mums' shooting their children during sports days with the E55-210

Video could also receive another bump... being able to take photos and video at the same time (again like the Nikon 1) would be a nice and appeal to the 'soccer mum' customer.  4k might also be on the cards but probably only at the higher end

-- hide signature --

DUMP the HUMP! Campaign for *REAL* NEX replacement bodies

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow