Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
en792
Regular MemberPosts: 422Gear list
Like?
Buy this D800 or DF?
6 months ago

I have an online basket with a D800 sitting in it waiting for my decision. It's from an online dealer of used rental cameras. The price is $2050 and is estimated between 25-35K actuations. Firmware updated and sensor cleaned. Tested for front/back focus and some other things. I would have a 90 day warranty and a 4 day "try out" period during which I could send it back at my expense.

I shoot with 2 D700s, which I love. This year, I will be traveling to Spain and Portugal. I like shooting the inside of churches and cathedrals without flash. Some of my images from a trip to Greece and Italy went up to ISO 3200 on the D700 and were incredibly noisy. I don't want to spend that much time PPing so many images in Aperture/Nik Dfine.

It would seem that, given what I have read here that the Df would be my candidate. I am, however, not sure if I want to handle it with the 16-35 f/4 and the 24/120 f/4. And I'm not going to be getting a 24-70 2.8. Handled one in my local store and am just not sure of the ergonomics, although it only had the 50 1.8 on it. I will need to take one of the heavier lenses in and test the ergonomics with that. However, the notion of having a near-medium format camera in that body is definitely appealing, but I have some concerns:

• I don't shoot off a tripod as much as I probably should, but I don't see that changing. Consequently, to shoot at shutter speeds of 2x or 3x focal length for good resolution handheld I read is recommended, I need high ISO capabilities.

• Some say my lenses above would be good enough with the D800, some say not. I'm not going to be getting the trinity.

Getting one from B&H would give me a lot more time to evaluate the D800 and the full Nikon warranty, but saving $800 is pretty appealing. Any suggestions/comments would be most welcome, aside from Df flaming, which has been done to death.

en792's gear list:en792's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G +6 more
Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Nikon Df
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
daNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow