XF56 f1.2 released and specs

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
dark13star
Contributing MemberPosts: 950Gear list
Like?
Re: XF56 f1.2 released and specs
In reply to malcolml1, 6 months ago

malcolml1 wrote:

Yes, I agree on the noise and detail argument. I was just curious about the exposure bit. Another way of posing the question is perhaps in terms of a given field of view of a scene. The 56 mm Fuji lens has roughly the same FoV as an 85mm lens on a FF sensor. If both lenses have their aperture open to give an f number of f1.2, would the exposure time be the same to get the same total exposure on the sensor?

One could even imagine that the light intensity per unit area on the smaller sensor would be greater on the smaller sensor because the incoming light is focused onto a smaller area.

Must admit to being a bit confused.....

Yes, exposure time is the same, given the same ISO (and yes, I realize there is a small difference in the way different managers implement the standard). Assume ISO 200 f/1.8 on both lenses, same exposure. The focal length doesn't change exposure either, at least not on the subject as measured neutral gray. What does change is the amount of other light in the scene for wider lenses.

At f 1/2 the Fuji lens can get exposures (faster shutter speed in same light) that the FF f/1.8 lens cannot.

I see this misunderstanding of exposure on the forum a lot lately. People need to go back to using hand-held light meters and setting exposures across multiple cameras to see that exposure is independent of sensor size. Depth of field will change at a given f-stop though.

-- hide signature --

"I would be an historian as Herodotus was." -Charles Olson
http://herodot.us

dark13star's gear list:dark13star's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D600 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow