Looking for a high end iMac, without the screen.

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Bob Randall
Forum MemberPosts: 93Gear list
Like?
Looking for a high end iMac, without the screen.
11 months ago

Presently using a i7 920 pc and a Mac Mini base 2012 model, both hooked into a Asus PB278Q monitor.

Wish to convert to Mac for photo processing, but: I have a good screen and still wish to use pc along side of Mac.  Running Mac Mini through display port at full res. and pc at full res.

The loaded Mac Mini is a little light on GPU but could work.

A MacBook Pro would be great but 90% of the time will be spent in "clamshell" so great screen seems redundant for $ tied up.

The base Mac Pro is not much more money than a loaded iMac but, according to the experts, likely overkill for my level of Photoshop/Lightroom (D800, raw, 500 snaps a month avg.)

The Mac Pro is a little more "future proof" but cant get my head around only using 20% of it's potential.

So, between the huge spread in performance and price of the mac mini and a mac pro, is their an  option that doesn't waste a screen?

Money not a huge priority but one that starts with a 4 (taxes/AppleCare) brings on much guilt.

Would the loaded Mini do or are there other options I have missed?

Thanks

Bob Randall's gear list:Bob Randall's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D3 Fujifilm X-Pro1
Samsung i7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow