Are Full Frame SLRs Obsolete?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
mermaidkiller
Regular MemberPosts: 373Gear list
Like?
Re: Are Full Frame SLRs Obsolete?
In reply to borax, 9 months ago

Well, I don't think so. Yes it is already weird that the *shape* of a FF body has changed little since the launch of the Nikon F in 1959. Pentaprism, mirror box, even the mode dial (Av, Tv, B, etc.) has long been the same for most models.

But I guess that in the near future a Fullframe ILC and even compact will arrive (btw, Leica M9 is already a compact FF).

Heavy lenses (particularly long telephoto ones) which must be lugged around, are mostly heavy due to the amount of glass in it. E.g. a 400 / 2.8L contains more kilos of glass. Possibly nicer optics design (from the shorttube apochromatic refractor telescopes) will decrease weight. Telescopes of 100mm or more aperture f/5 (so 500+mm f/5 telephoto) with only three elements (TMB, Takahashi, Televue) have the same quality as 12 or more elements supertele L lenses and don't cost more, mostly less.

And when I don't want to carry my bulky SLR ? I have a cute little camera Powershot S100 which takes nice pictures and (HD) videos. Size of a smartphone but image quality is much better.

-- hide signature --

Ricoh KR-5 ... Pentax ME Super ... Canon T90 ... ... ... 40d ... 7d ... 6d

mermaidkiller's gear list:mermaidkiller's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 50mm f/2.5 Macro Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
TrueNew
SureNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow