Are Full Frame SLRs Obsolete?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Forrest
Forum ProPosts: 14,666
Like?
History says no.
In reply to Colin Smith1, 6 months ago

Did medium and large format vanish when APS came out?

From what I can see, the trend seems to be the opposite of what luma land is suggesting. Full frame is getting more and more affordable, and more people are using it. Some want better quality, others want to use the lenses they've had for years, other people are realizing that they can make photos that they've never been able to shoot before.

I have a ~10 year old 1D mark 2 and I've had a couple of new Sony point and shoots.  The Sony cameras are very convenient, they fit in my pocket, and come along for road bike rides and rock climbs, when I don't want to take an SLR.  The 1D has 8 million pixels, the Sony cameras both had 16.  The 1D trounces them in terms of quality.  It's not a fair fight (bigger sensor, better lenses, wildly different classes), but it goes to show that things are more complicated than the numbers would predict.

Here's something I shot last July from a high camp in the North Cascades.  I used a 5D v3 and a 24 mm f/1.4 for this.  My buddy has been happy with his 4/3 system for years, but will probably get a 6D shortly to be able to do stuff like this.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
TrueNew
SureNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow