Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Chris2J
Regular MemberPosts: 355Gear list
Like?
Eye-Fi 8Gb Pro X2 with D300
9 months ago

I have been interested in getting WiFi ability for my D300 for a long time.  So recently I got hold of the Eye-Fi 8Gb Pro X2 card and an SDHC to CF adaptor that supposedly work with the Eye-Fi cards.  Initially, I could not get it working, however, after removing the aluminium covers from the adaptor it worked, albeit quite slow.  I sometimes do a number of team photos in succession and need to get the names of everyone in the correct sequence from left to right in two or three rows, so my wife sits at a nearby table with the laptop and after taking each team's photos, I need to run to the laptop with the CF card and upload it so the team manager can provide the details, then rush back to the camera with the CF card to take the next team's photos.  But by this time the next team is already bored and losing interest.

My idea is to send a jpg version to my tablet through WiFi, so the process can be more continuous.  The speed of the WiFi transmission is a bit slow to my liking, however, it is manageable.  But the shock came when I uploaded the NEF files using the card reader and it took forever to upload a few test files.  When checking the specs, I found that the readspeed of the Eye-Fi card is significantly slower than that of my Kingston 16Gb 600x cards.  This spoiled my appetite for using the Eye-Fi card completely.

So my next step seems to be the Camranger, as the Nikon WiFi tools are so expensive.  Can anyone comment on their WiFi experiences with the D300?

By the way, after 4 years with the D300, it is still good and I make more mistakes than the camera.  And after using a borrowed D3 during a recent trip to Namibia and my decision to concentrate more on landscape, portrait, macro and studio work than events, I believe I will add a full-frame next - even it it is a D700 - but possibly a D600/D610.  While I am also convinced the market needs a D400, I will probably not go there.  I have selected to buy mostly FX lenses in the recent past.

Your advice will be appreciated.

-- hide signature --

Chris J

Chris2J's gear list:Chris2J's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 (IF) DX Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM +1 more
Nikon D3 Nikon D300 Nikon D40 Nikon D600 Nikon D700
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow