Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: XF56 f1.2 released and specs
In reply to Bernie Ess, 11 months ago

Bernie Ess wrote:

LWS2013 wrote:

since the 85mm eqv is primarily a portrait focal length one would be shooting this for DoF rather than available light, since this is an APS-C lens you should really compare it to a FF lens that provides around the same DoF, the Nikon 85mm f1.8G which is rated very highly by Dxo for its sharpness wide open weights 350g and is around the same size as the Fuji 56mm and is close to 1/3rd of the price.

Size/use/weight wise the Fuji 56mm offers little over using a FF DSLR 85mm lens, we will have to wait and see if it's worth the extra 2/3rds cost.

You use a Fuji X beause you want to use a mirrorlesscamera, right? Just compare the whole setup in terms of weight, and you surely will find the DSLR kit is 2-2,5x heavier and bulkier.

Then consider price: Yes the 56 is more expensive than the 85/1,8, but what about the camera + lens kit?

X-E2 + 56 1,2 weighs 700g and costs roughly 1900,

d610 + 85/1,8 costs 1995 + the 495 for the lens: 2490 (BH prices today) and weighs 1060g.

You may very well prefer to have 2 systems and pick your favorites for each, that will cost you much more than either one and probably make you concentrate more to technology than photography, but for those who want one system and like the Fuji X system, your comparisions are not very valid.

One last thing: I had a d700 and have looked at thousands and thousand of Nikon pics, I have yet to see one Nikon camera that produces color/ skin tones that come close to what Fuji delivers effortlessly.

THis was the reason why I ultimately sold my otherwise excellent d700. Such a good camera body, but loud, heavy and colors that always left me slightly unsatisfied.

Bernie

-- hide signature --

'All the technique in the world doesn’t compensate for the inability to notice.' (Elliot Erwitt)

well at this moment I've a couple of D800E's and a bunch of f1.4 and f2 primes, a Sony A7/R + 35/55 Zeiss lenses, the Voigtlander 35 f1.2 II and 50 1.5 VM, 75 1.8, plus an X-E1 + 18-55, 18 & 35, I shoot a lot of portraits in a number of different lighting conditions, sometimes with flash and sometimes under available light, I shoot only RAW and without a single doubt Nikon is the better system for this IMO with the Fuji being the worst, skin tones are inconsistant and often horrid from the Fuji X, now if Fuji dropped the X sensor then things might well be different.

I've had the D700, D3 and D3s and they do not compare to the D800E, not even close.

I like the X-E1 with the 18-55 for its size and image quality (OOC Jpegs) and if for nothing else its fun to use, I just hope that Fuji stick with this same body style with their FF system.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow