Contributing MemberPosts: 935Gear list
Like?
Re: XF56 f1.2 released and specs
In reply to LWS2013, 7 months ago

LWS2013 wrote:

a l b e r t wrote:

LWS2013 wrote:

a l b e r t wrote:

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/x/fujinon_lens_xf56mmf12_r/specifications/

Weight 405g (XF23 1.4 weight: 300g, Canon 85 1.2 weight: 1025g)

From the MTF charts, it looks like wide open sharpness is about the same as 23 f1.4.

And price is more reasonable ($999), not $1299 as someone predicted.

since the 85mm eqv is primarily a portrait focal length one would be shooting this for DoF rather than available light, since this is an APS-C lens you should really compare it to a FF lens that provides around the same DoF, the Nikon 85mm f1.8G which is rated very highly by Dxo for its sharpness wide open weights 350g and is around the same size as the Fuji 56mm and is close to 1/3rd of the price.

Size/use/weight wise the Fuji 56mm offers little over using a FF DSLR 85mm lens, we will have to wait and see if it's worth the extra 2/3rds cost.

One of the reasons why people in the Canikon camps eventually moved to FF is because Canikon never try their best to release high quality APS-C size lenses. Fuji deserves a pat in the shoulder for releasing the world's first high quality 23mm f1.4 APS-C lens and now the world's first (high quality) 56mm f1.2 APS-C lens.

I don't know why people keep comparing this lens to a f1.8 FF lens. As my other thread has shown, the rendering of bokeh has more to do with the lens design rather than just the aperture value. So yes, the DoF is the same as a f1.8 FF lens, but it doesn't tell you how it renders the bokeh. And at the end of the day, it is still a f1.2 lens as far as exposure is concerned.

I have high hopes that the 56mm will have excellent out of focus rendering and if Fuji ever put a decent sensor in an X body I might buy one and I'm looking forward to their Christmas 2014 free lens deal on the 23/56

That said current Fuji lenses don't have out of focus rendering to write home about

Indeed an f1.2 lens is still an f1.2 with regards to exposure but not all ISO's are equal

not really your not factoring in the extra real estate on the sensor, which is gathering light. So, it's an f 1.8.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow