harold1968
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,687Gear list
Like?
Re: Photography will always be a battle between art and science
In reply to Tom Caldwell, 7 months ago

Tom Caldwell wrote:

Lightshow wrote:

Tom Caldwell wrote:

Back to the argument over lenses - "the look" (art) and alternative "perfection" (science). Scientific art can also be good.

But the issue that most interests me at the moment is that with the increasing need to software correct lenses in camera are we heading down another path where only lenses specifically built by a manufacturer for their own mount will amount to "perfection" and therefore photographic scientists have only a one-make everything option, or will those that prefer "the look" and ignore the "imperfections" to get what they consider "a good image" manage to struggle on with non-oem (and by definition "imperfect") lenses on cameras with very large and very scientific (perfect) sensors?

Is there cause enough to get a non-software-corrected camera body to use with well made non-software corrected lenses?

Ricoh did this with their GXR plus LM mount module - thrown precisely at this market. Hopefully they will choose to make a FF version of this module and photographers can wrestle with raw muscle and brains with MF only lenses and no artificial assistance. Real men and women, bred tough and not afraid to make mistakes.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Technically perfect lenses bore me, only at infinity do they have any interest to me, but I don't always shoot at infinity, I'd much rather have a lens with some character.

We agree but most of the chat seems to be the pursuit of photographs as a perfect record = "science". This has been a divide since the very early days of photography and it shall continue forever. But many, quite a lot, of memorable photographs would not pass the correct science test and we all know those perfect studio shots that pass into advertising are post processed lies.

I was lured into digital photography by seeing the excellence of shots taken with early 3mp Canon D30 dslr bodies. How things move on an now nothing short of a FF sensor and 24mp at least is necessary for even everyday captures.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

It's funny how people expect things to be done for them these days and therefore don't really keep control of the photo.

the argument on AF "not fast enough for action" always amuses me. In the 70s and before it was all MF .....

-- hide signature --

harold.co.il

harold1968's gear list:harold1968's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS30 Sony RX1R Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
LOLNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow