Started 9 months ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
mermaidkiller
Regular MemberPosts: 373Gear list
Like?
Review EOS 6
9 months ago

A full frame body was always my dream, but price tags of over $2500 body only withheld me from buying one. Two years ago when the 5d3 was released I considered upgrading, but the price tag of the 5d3 body was (and still is) too steep for me. In summer 2012 finally both Nikon and Canon released an 'affordable' full frame for about $2000. And prices of both cams dropped to $1600 which triggered me to buy one and sell the 7d. Fortunately only 2 of my 5 lenses were APS-C so I could keep the other three.

Last week I got this camera together with the EF 24-105 f/4L lens and the Samyang 14mm f/2.8 wide angle lens. I upgraded to this from the EOS 7 as I do lots of low-light photography and this camera does a lot better. And I am not so interested in high speed shooting and fast AF which are definitely better on the 5d3 for which you pay the extra $1000.

Taking the first photos indoors was a well improvement over the 7d. At 3200 and even 6400 iso photos were virtually grain-free (unless you pixel peep at full 20MP resolution). With the 7d 3200 was more grainy and the colors less vivid.

Video

The 6d has video capabilities for 1080p x 25 or 30 fps and 720p x 50 or 60fps. The settings talk about NTSC and PAL but these terms date back to the old analog TV era and don't have any meaning in this HDMI era. And there is a recording mode IPB and AII of which the latter records more detail but costs even more sd card space (600MB / minute). Unfortunately, there is no MP4 recording mode in a low data rate which can be useful for making quick videos of a small size. For some videographers which use audio monitoring with a headset or earbuds during recording, this is not possible as there is no headphone socket in it. For me this is not a problem. Moreover, AF does not work like a camcorder, it does not work continuously, but correction can be done using the AF-ON button (top right) but that works rather slow. Manually focusing the lens is more convenient in many cases. That feature is not possible in consumer camcorders. Here Nikon has an advantage: the D600 does zoom continuously while filming.
I took video shots of the fireworks at midnight using ISO 12500 and saw that these were virtually noise free, which can be achieved at no more than 3200 on the 7d. I tested filming at candlelight (1 single candle) at f/4, 30fps and ISO 12500 and that did very well with virtually no noise. So filming in low light works very well.

Sorry, no EF-S lenses

Nikon has with all its fullframe cameras a complete backward compatibility with DX lenses. For people upgrading to full frame, one can keep the old lenses while gradually upgrading to fullframe ones. Canon users should replace all EF-S lenses as they don't fit on any fullframe body. The rear of the lens protrudes too deep into the bayonet mouth which can damage the mirror when it pops up. However some third party lenses such as the Sigma 10-20mm do fit on a fullframe and can be used from 15mm on without vignetting. With the release of the 5d3 and 6d Canon has missed a chance. Of course, fullframe bodies are not designed in the first place to use APS-C lenses (it degrades the resolution of the 6d to 'only' 8MP), But when these cameras were made backwards compatible with EF-S lenses, then upgrading from APS-C bodies was a lot easier. When they redesigned the mirror box slightly so that the mirror pops up a bit to the rear. Nikon has an advantage on this as all FF bodies have a DX mode which crop the sensor to
DX format.

Wifi works fine bot in PC mode (EOS Remote om my Macbook) and Smartphone mode (DSLR Controller from Chainfire on my Samsung Galaxy Note 2). The Android EOS Remote app from Canon does work, but is very limited. DSLR Controller does even more than EOS Utility on the PC. But when downloading multple RAWs (28MB each), USB mode with DSLR controller is preferred.

Pro:

- Relatively affordable price ($1600 body)
- Very low noise and grain at high ISO: up till 6400 high quality photos can be taken
- Filming possible even at 12500 ISO
- Multiple exposure (although limited to 9)
- Not too heavy
- Wifi works good
- 1.5 - 2 stops lower noise than the best APS-C cameras on the market

Con:

- EF-S lenses cannot be mounted (although some 3rd party APS-C lenses do fit)
- No popup flash
- No continuous AF in video
- No earbuds / headphone socket for monitoring video soundtrack
- not really fast autofocus : unsuitable for sports and other high speed photography

mermaidkiller's gear list:mermaidkiller's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 50mm f/2.5 Macro Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +3 more
mermaidkiller's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
great
Action / sports
okay
Landscapes / scenery
excellent
Portraits
excellent
Low light (without flash)
excellent
Flash photography (social)
great
Studio / still life
excellent
= community average
Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EOS 6D Samsung Galaxy Note II Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow