still torn between m43 and Full Frame systems

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
robonrome
Senior MemberPosts: 1,256Gear list
Like?
Re: still torn between m43 and Full Frame systems
In reply to Photomonkey, 8 months ago

I shoot for a living with Canon 5DmkIIIs. They can produce gorgeous images however I find that for sports,event, and wedding photography they produce files that vary more than my Panasonic G6.

For slower commercial and architectural work the Canons are hard to beat but when the lighting conditions change quickly they make auto exposure errors like no tomorrow. This is consistent with my experience with all metering systems irrespective of marketing hype. Manual exposure reduces the variability but slows me down as I need to chimp.

The G6 allows me to compensate BEFORE the exposure and thus get a much higher yield of images not to mention its fast and super accurate AF.

What I notice is that my G6 is fast, sharp and unobtrusive with stellar IQ.
The shortcomings are that its high ISO performance falls off a lot in comparison to the Canons and the battery life is short-ish.

As I am getting older I am much less interested in carrying a crap-ton of gear to a job and even less interested in lots of PP.

My only other comment is to second everything Richard Weisgrau said.

Well said. And its much as ive concluded that i prefer the gh3 in many situations npt so much because its as good iq but because it is easier to use and get better results with... the live histogram aiding exposure accuracy is a good example.

Ive also taken a lot from what Richard has said... noteably to think less about noise and more about impact...

robonrome's gear list:robonrome's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow