Like?
Re: It aint over until the duck quacks:) D7100
In reply to Tusk24, 9 months ago

Tusk24 wrote:

herbymel wrote:

Tusk24 wrote:

Shunda77 wrote:

Iain G Foulds wrote:

... Ray: I would gently offer that the art of photography is the consideration of the composition as a whole, and not merely pointing a camera and taking sharp pictures of things.

... In the world, there are trillions of sharp duck photos. It is the context and and compliment of the background and foreground which separates and distinguishes.

... Hey, don't post photos if you are only looking for compliments.

Gee whiz Iain, I think ole ray is doing a bit better with the D7100 than you have been, I'm still trying to figure out how you got such noisy soft ISO 360 shots.

These ducks are superbly sharp and detailed.

Perhaps the ducks ought to be superbly sharp with a monster lens like the 600mm VR.

Talk about David and Goliath.

As far as pure sharpness is concerned the lens Iain is shooting with is no slouch.

Agreed.

But,respectfully, he has to get a whole lot closer for the same shot.

This is very true and I've been there believe me.  The minimum should be 300mm with converters for birding and the 300mm f4 AFS can open up another world for many, but there is a learning curve.  I have nothing but praise for that lens its the best bang for the buck.

The 70-200 f4 or VR is not enough even with a converter on the later mentioned VR lens.  I know because I own it. You can still have great fun with it and getting close to the subject may require a photo blind.  The 70-300 does not appear to be that sharp at the long end and forget converters with it.  As Nikon shooters we only have the AFS and non AFS 300mm lenses to choose from and with TC's they are adequate. I  just recently sold my 300 afs f4 to help finance a camera purchase.  I did enjoy that lens and the ability to get very close to the subject.

cheers,

Ray

Humanoid's gear list:Humanoid's gear list
Nikon D2X Nikon D3 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow