50mm Prime with Resolution for a D800? Come on Nikon/Sigma!

Started 7 months ago | Questions thread
Reilly Diefenbach
Senior MemberPosts: 8,188Gear list
Like?
Re: 50mm Prime with Resolution for a D800? Come on Nikon/Sigma!
In reply to Scott McMorrow, 7 months ago

Scott McMorrow wrote:

Reilly Diefenbach wrote:

How about an image of a test chart designed to measure the resolution of an 50mm F/1.8 lens on a D800?

How about you do some work around here for a change? Show us what you've got.

Sure, send me the lenses you'd like to have tested, and I'll be happy to perform Imatest MTF testing on all of them, along with my own. I have a 50mm f/1.4G, a Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art, and a 105 AF-S that are worthy of testing on my D800. If you want, I'll rent a D7100, which has a higher available resolution in lines/mm.

By the way, your example of the IQ180 is actually a bad example. It requires lower lens resolution to achieve better overall resolution. It has a pixel pitch that is larger than the D800.

Now you're being silly. I've asked you to produce pixel level crops supporting your thesis, and so far we have yet to see a single pixel. If you can't produce, there's no further point. If I can see clearly defined pixels at 400%, the lens has done its job and is out of the resolution equation, period, end of story.  Shoot what you want any way you want, bury yourself in charts and graphs, whatever, I'm bored with the back and forth.

I have a 50mm f/1.4G, a Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art, and a 105 AF-S that are worthy of testing on my D800. If you want, I'll rent a D7100, which has a higher available resolution in lines/mm.

All of which will show pixels the same way on the D7100. In other words, they'll outresolve it handily through most or all of the frame at most apertures.

Over and out.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow