herbymel wrote:

Tusk24 wrote:

herbymel wrote:

Tusk24 wrote:

herbymel wrote:

Tusk24 wrote:

Shunda77 wrote:

Iain G Foulds wrote:

... Ray: I would gently offer that the art of photography is the consideration of the composition as a whole, and not merely pointing a camera and taking sharp pictures of things.

... In the world, there are trillions of sharp duck photos. It is the context and and compliment of the background and foreground which separates and distinguishes.

... Hey, don't post photos if you are only looking for compliments.

Gee whiz Iain, I think ole ray is doing a bit better with the D7100 than you have been, I'm still trying to figure out how you got such noisy soft ISO 360 shots.

These ducks are superbly sharp and detailed.

Perhaps the ducks ought to be superbly sharp with a monster lens like the 600mm VR.

Talk about David and Goliath.

As far as pure sharpness is concerned the lens Iain is shooting with is no slouch.

Agreed.

But,respectfully, he has to get a whole lot closer for the same shot.

With the birds he's shooting that's a whole lot easier...some of those birds will come within feet of you if given the chance.

So what lens would you have for bird photography if offered?

600mm f4 VR or 70-200 f4 ?

Yes, me too.

solely depended on what I was shooting and how far away they were...if I was shooting what Iain was and how he shoots. He'd look a little ridiculous on his walks through the park with the 600mm strapped to him. Given the distance...the 600mm would be an entire waste of time...wouldn't even be able to acquire focus...given my own shooting...I don't bother with birds like that. No interest, not really much for ducks either. I will take and am saving for a 500mm, but I also have a 300mm and a 80-200...it's not the size of the lens, when you use it, and the conditions that you use it in. Personally I'd also like the 70-200 and am considering that as a purchase down the line as well. I like the 80-200, but don't use it as much because what I shoot is usually further away and more challenging. It also doesn't have VR and as I get older I find I could use it.

I've owned or own all the lenses you mentioned.  I still own the 70-200 VR1 but its front focusing badly and need to send it in.  Its about 7 years old.  The 80-200 afs f2.8 was a great lens but no VR thats why I purchased the 70-200 f2.8 VR.  The 300 f4 AFS is a fine lens as I had argued with others when Rudy was ready to purchase.  The 300 VR 1 is one of  my favorite lenses of all time.  The 600mm was purchased because the 300 VR with TC didn't have enough reach and the 500 would of need the TC often where the 600mm for a couple more grand does not need the TC's nearly as often.  I also owned a few lenses you didn't mention one being the original 80-400mm non vr non AFS lens yuck.

My first love with photography was landscapes and for some reason I fell in love with Birding about 10 years ago or more I don't even remember.  Its very challenging in everyway and very rewarding as well.  Good luck with your next lens!

Cheers,

Ray

Humanoid's gear list:Humanoid's gear list
Nikon D2X Nikon D3 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow