What's so difficult about the idea of plurality?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Leandros S
Senior MemberPosts: 1,088Gear list
Like?
What's so difficult about the idea of plurality?
8 months ago

I'm directing this post specifically at the crusaders of the leading brands, who seem to make a habit of occasionally foraying into the forums of the "minor" brands to leave derogatory comments that often seem motivated by their own brand's way of "framing the debate", and may even be ill-informed at times. While the different ways in which the information may be incorrect or misleading may not even be deliberate, or certainly don't seem to trigger the posters' conscience, it just grabs me that we're all benefitting if there's a lot of competition between a large array of different companies, that this drives innovation, and that

(a) if even one company disappears from the industry, it will be a loss to all consumers, and

(b) the more skewed the commercial success is, the less the smaller players will be able to challenge the big ones to keep justifying, if they can, their leadership of a market.

I just wondered if this is something that a lot of people aren't aware of, because I can't otherwise explain the leering that seems to abound when company X reports poor sales, or company Y downward-adjusts its sales forecast.

Any thoughts?

-- hide signature --

No amount of perceived entitlement can replace actual expertise.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow