Please help, what camera should I buy to replace the LX3?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
geoff35
Junior MemberPosts: 26
Like?
Please help, what camera should I buy to replace the LX3?
6 months ago

Hi, I am a regular reader at these forums, they have been very helpful. But this is my first post. I have a dilemma, what camera do I choose to replace the excellent Lx3 I currently have.

I have in the past had a Minolta Dimage 7i, ate the aa batteries. So upgraded to the rebel 300d bought on day of release, I only got rid of that recently as it was to cumbersome (never really got used) so I traded in for the Lx3. Although I love this camera its getting a bit long in the tooth now.

I have a few idea what I want in a camera -Fast aperture -minimum of 28-60mm zoom (not sure if I want a prime) -Small body size max 130 x 70 x70 pocketable -silent/quiet shutter -price under £300 -decent hd 1080p movie mode- sensor no smaller than the lx3- decent manual control dials and non fussy menus - large sensor (better low light performance) - Viewfinder (not essential though)

These are the cameras I have been looking at 1- Rx100 (too expensive?), 2- Pentax mx1 (slow shot to shot times), 3-Fuji XM-1 (too expensive?), 4- Sony Nex 3n (manual dials? loud shutter), 5 - Ricoh Gr (way to expensive, not sure about prime).

My dilemma is this, the Rx100 seems to be the obvious choice although its still quite expensive and not very wide on full zoom. If I am going to spend that sort of money why not get a larger sensor camera? The Sony Nex 3n seems very good, still just pocketable with good image and low light performance, and I think I could live with the lack of manual dials, but the shutter noise being mechanical cannot be silenced and I am not sure I can live with that. Are all asp-c sensor cameras that loud? Would I be better off going for micro 4/3?

I Haven't really looked at the micro 4/3 cameras as none seemed any smaller than the Nex 3n with kit lens.

I would really value your help and advice perhaps there is a camera I haven't considered. Thanks in advance. Geoff.

Canon EOS 300D (EOS Digital Rebel / EOS Kiss Digital) Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Pentax MX-1 Pentax X70 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow