Started 7 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
oscarcat
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
multiple image sorting and rearranging manually
7 months ago

I’m involved in a major rescue job, Thousands of 35mm images, both colour negative and positive are having to be scanned because of mould and age related deterioration. Some are 40 years plus and I live in the humid sub tropics

I need my desktop to become the digital equivalent of a light box, where individual slides can be manually arranged at will until the ideal (or at any rate an acceptable) order is established. But instead of then physically numbering and boxing up the physical slides or putting them in storage sleeves, I want to create folders on the hard drive (and its back up) with the digitized images IN THE ORDER AS LAID OUT ON THE DESKTOP.

I’m using Windows 7 64bit and an Epson scanner which has a useful numbering system. But invariably I’m finding out of order slides that have to be scanned and added out of sequence and I also want to assemble digital collections that are a mix of slides and prints. Renumbering these ‘rogue’ images ‘0234a’ , ‘0234b’ is time consuming and merging batches of digitized positive and negative originals is a nightmare. There will be quite a number of separate subjects each with several individual folders.

Is there some simple drag and drop facility available for using the desktop in the way a lightbox used to be used and is it then possible for the order in which they are laid out – reading conventionally left to right, from the top to the bottom of the desktop to be preserved and be renamed and renumbered when they are saved into a newly created subject folder?

Any help/advice would be appreciated. But I am a tech newbie and right now the number one priority is to save a lifetime’s photography from further deterioration!

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow