50mm Prime with Resolution for a D800? Come on Nikon/Sigma!

Started 7 months ago | Questions thread
Matsu
Contributing MemberPosts: 830Gear list
Like?
Re: Almost any 50 will do.
In reply to light_bulb, 7 months ago

light_bulb wrote:

You are right with portraits resolution is a double-edged sword. You may not always want to see what a lens is able to resolve.

It may require a perfect skin, extra care for all detail, make-up or extra work in post. This is why Nikon has got its new 58 1.4.

I am also using the 50 1.8 for other purposes where resolution does not come at these kinds of 'cost'.

It's not simply a question of flattering skin textures, you will use lighting to soften skin, and post processing where needed.  I was only commenting that all the 50's deliver enough resolution, but it goes beyond portrait applications.

Almost any controlled commercial application usually has the problem of not enough depth of field, and that means smaller apertures, not bigger ones.  All the 50s have more than enough resolution from f/4 onwards.  Sometimes the problem is how they hold up at f/11-f/16, most offer stellar resolution between f/5.6-f/8.  Think of product photography, food, jewelry, macros, clothing, architecture, interiors... most of these shooters are stopping down, not opening up.

And even when opening, how much is relative to the shallow depth effect one is looking for.  f/2.8 is often shallow enough, and depending on subject distance, and more aperture may cut the depth too think for a whole face, or a couple in the same frame.  But again, most are all already excellent by f/2.8 in the centre, the newer G lenses a little stronger than the D versions on the frame edges here.

Wide open there are differences in resolution, amongst other qualities, but I often wonder if focus accuracy is going to make a bigger difference at these extreme apertures anyway.

Matsu's gear list:Matsu's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow